Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Golden 1 Center: Sacramento's new solar powered, LEED Platinum arena

The new home of the Kings NBA basketball franchise is the most environmentally sustainable sports arena in the world. The Golden 1 Center in downtown Sacramento is the first indoor sports arena to achieve LEED Platinum, the highest level of certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The Golden 1 Center is also the first professional sports venue to be completely powered by solar energy, cutting nearly 2,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually. The Rancho Seco Solar Farm will provide 85 percent of the arena's solar energy with the remaining 15 percent coming from the arena's rooftop solar array.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

New D.C. United stadium will be LEED Gold

Great news soccer fans in the nation's capital! The new D.C. United stadium that will be built at Buzzard Point in Southwest Washington will be LEED Gold certified, the highest sustainability standard from the U.S. Green Building Council. More details on how the new stadium will be one of the most environmentally friendly stadiums in the country from the application for review and approval of a consolidated planned unit development:

Monday, January 18, 2016

Islanders and Capitals face off at Brooklyn's Barclays Center

The New York Islanders are playing their first season at Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn. I recently took a train ride up from Washington to see the Capitals face off against the Islanders and here are some of my impressions:

Monday, September 15, 2014

Costa Rica National Soccer Stadium

I recently visited the amazing country of Costa Rica and took some pictures of the new national soccer stadium (Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica). The Chinese financed and built Central America's first major sport and event arena. Of course The Ticos are coming off an impressive showing at the World Cup in Brazil and the nation loves their football team. The stadium is located in the capital San Jose in La Sabana Metropolitan Park.

Baseball Exhibit at National Museum of American Jewish History

I recently visited the wonderful National Museum of American Jewish History in Philadelphia and saw the exhibit "Chasing Dreams: Baseball and Becoming American." I highly recommend this exhibit if you are a baseball fan because it not only highlights Jewish achievements in the game but also the progress made in making the game more diverse and inclusive.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

New Orleans Superdome

On a recent visit to New Orleans I decided to check out the Mercedez-Benz Superdome -- the home stadium of the Saints NFL team and the largest fixed dome structure in the world. The Big Easy loves their Saints, especially after winning the 2010 Super Bowl. One of the first things passengers arriving at Louis Armstrong International Airport see is a replica of the Vince Lombardi Trophy engraved with the Saints 2010 Super Bowl victory next to the Saints store.

Friday, May 30, 2014

A Trip to Best Ballpark in America: Oriole Park at Camden Yards

Took a trip up to Charm City recently to see the Orioles. It had been years since my last visit to Oriole Park at Camden Yards and all the great memories came back to me as I walked up to the Eutaw Street entrance and looked up at the magnificent B&O Warehouse.